Carbon dating radioactive decay

Rated 3.91/5 based on 882 customer reviews

For example, say a fossil is found that has 35% carbon 14 compared to the living sample. We can use a formula for carbon 14 dating to find the answer.

Where t is the age of the fossil (or the date of death) and ln() is the natural logarithm function.

The kerosene is purified by removing pollutants, using a clay filter.

Suppose the clay is in a pipe and as the kerosene flows through the pipe, every foot of clay removes 20% of the pollutants, leaving 80%.

Since the half-life of Plutonium 239 is so high (even in comparison to the carbon 14 half-life of 5,730 years) humans must be very cautious of the way they dispose of plutonium.

Scientists are looking for safe ways for disposing plutonium.

Plutonium Plutonium 239 is a man-made radioactive isotope. Plutonium 239 has a half-life of 24,110 years, which means that it would take 240,000 years to decay to a safe amount.

carbon dating radioactive decay-74

carbon dating radioactive decay-29

How long does the pipe have to be to ensure that there is only 10% of the pollutants left in the kerosene?If the amount of carbon 14 is halved every 5,730 years, it will not take very long to reach an amount that is too small to analyze.When finding the age of an organic organism we need to consider the half-life of carbon 14 as well as the rate of decay, which is –0.693.If the fossil has 35% of its carbon 14 still, then we can substitute values into our equation.So, the fossil is 8,680 years old, meaning the living organism died 8,680 years ago.

Leave a Reply